I’m talking about Yankee Stadium, of course.
In New York this summer? You rather owe it to your grandchildren to go see the stadium, don’t you? Note this is the last year for Shea Stadium, too — better plan an extra day on that trip to the home office in Manhattan.
Confession: I’ve never been inside the stadium. Once, on a road trip to New York City, visiting a friend, Mark Wade, we parked in the shadow of the stadium. Oops — somebody didn’t lock one door. Two days in the City, parked in a tough neighborhood, with a door wide open, nothing happened to the car. There’s some magic in that ballpark.
Yankee Stadium from high in back of home plate; photo from MLB Road Trip.com
- Wang draws start for stadium’s final opening day
- Official stadium website
- Ticket prices: $12.00 to $400.00 /seat
- International Herald Tribune story, “Christened in 1923 by Babe Ruth’s Homer, Yankee Stadium prepares for final season”
- “You can’t just blow up history,” New York Times
- Ballparks.com entry on Yankee Stadium
- Baseball Almanac statistical analysis of Yankee Stadium
- Ballparks of Baseball.com entry
- 360° panoramic photo from 2nd base, from NYC Tourist