You’d have a tough time dreaming this sort of stuff up for Saturday Night Live skit, or a comedy movie.
Eric Koenig, one of my few Follower-of-Islam friends, wrote:
The GOP has been talking for quite some time about “creeping Shariah Law,” the notion that, little by little, Muslims are taking over America by demanding that they be allowed to have Shariah rights, in this city, in that city, until the whole thing creeps across, and engulfs, America itself, whereupon we will become an “Islamic theocracy” (there are none, but the “pundits” always love to use the term) such as in Saudi Arabia, Iran, Pakistan, etc. So anything that may have to do with “Shariah Law” is the absolute antithesis of the GOP.
Yes, that’s right. In fact, here in Texas the Republican nominee for the U.S. Senate, Ted Cruz, complains about Sharia law almost as often as he warns the United Nations is coming to take away our golf courses. (See what I mean by, “you can’t make this stuff up?”) Ted Cruz, who once upon a time had a Harvard education, defeated the rich-but-sane-by-comparison “mainstream” GOP candidate just a few weeks ago.
Well, the GOP has recently released the draft of the language of their party platform for this month’s national convention in Florida. And they have something to say about abortion. Namely, they call for a Constitutional ban on abortion, even in cases where the pregnancy is caused by rape or incest. No exceptions other than if the expectant mother’s life is at risk.
Here’s the irony: ask anyone from a rather conservative Muslim country — Saudi Arabia, Iran, Pakistan etc. — what their country’s policy is towards abortion and they’ll tell you no abortions are allowed except if the expectant mother’s life is at risk.
In other words, in a Muslim nation, no abortions are performed on women who have been made pregnant through rape or incest. Nope; the law states that they should go ahead and have their kids. IT’S THE LAW.
And nobody sees the irony here about the GOP complaining of “creeping Shariah Law” and jumping into bed with the very “Islamic theocracies” they claim to denounce regarding the abortion issue??
I think we got the GOP by the family jewels. They can’t have their cake and eat it too. Either they have to stop with this talk about “creeping Shariah Law,” or drop the language in their platform about a Constitutional ban on abortion that perfectly matches Shariah Law procedure.
Contradictions? Sure! My money would go on the GOP letting Ted Cruz and others complain about creeping Sharia law, while at the same time helping Sharia creep in through the Platform Committee’s back door, and keeping quiet about the contradictions. What do you think might happen, Dear Reader?
In the “More” section, below, you may find articles both decrying Sharia, and inserting anti-Sharia planks in the platform, oblivious to the pro-Shariah planks pushed by other Republicans. You might say, “Forgive them, they know not what they do.” My prayer would be that they might become enlightened, realize what they are doing, and stop it.
- Islamic Shariah & Todd Akin/ Paul Ryan on Abortion & Legitimate Rape (juancole.com)
- Gov Haslam aide unaware or in denial about promotion of Islam in Tennessee (creepingsharia.wordpress.com)
- GOP Platform Embraces Shariah Panic (littlegreenfootballs.com)
- GOP embraces anti-Shariah (salon.com)
- Citizen calls out Tennessee governor’s sharia appointment (creepingsharia.wordpress.com)
- -American Muslims and Coptic Christians Petition Egyptian to Drop Sharia (answersforthefaith.com)
- Obama-backed Syrian rebels apply sharia law (creepingsharia.wordpress.com)
- Support Sharia Law Says California Politicians and Law Enforcement (conservativeread.com)
- Sharia Law Is Not a Threat? Ask the Residents of Northern Mali (godfatherpolitics.com)
- CNN on the GOP abortion plank
- BuzzFeed video: GOP Platform Committee discusses removing Czechoslovakia from the platform — since the nation no longer exists
- Latina Lista: GOP doubles down against Hispanics with anti-immigrant plank