Former Secretary of State, Gen. Colin Powell, endorsed President Obama’s reelection today.
Correspondent Jim Stanley provides his count of GOP luminaries who endorse Obama in this election:
[H]ere are the ones I have tallied:
- Former Senator Larry Pressler of South Dakota;
- Former Reagan Budget Director David Stockman;
- Former Bush 41 Admin. Budget Director Bruce Bartlett;
- Former Rhode Island Senator and current Governor Linc Chaffee;
- Former Bush National Security Advisor Richard Clarke;
- Reagan Administration Asst. Atty. General Doug Kmiec;
- Former Florida Governor Charlie Crist;
- Former Nixon aide John Dean;
- Former Reagan Solicitor General Charles Fried;
- Former National Review Publisher Wick Allison; and
- From what I can see, former National Review columnist Chris Buckley has not issued an official 2012 endorsement but has said he has seen no reason to change his 2008 endorsement of Obama.
I don’t know if former Bush spokesman Scott McClellan will repeat his Obama endorsement. The only prominent Republican I know of who endorsed Obama in 2008 and has publicly switched his position is former Massachusetts Governor Bill Weld. Former Senator and Governor Lowell Weicker has also re-endorsed the President. Now, Weicker, Crist and Chaffee officially left the GOP over its extreme rightward drift, but they have not become Democrats.
I added links. Interesting. Dear Reader, do you know of others?
- Powell Gives Obama His Endorsement for a Second Time (thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com)
- Colin Powell endorses Obama again (NPR)
- Colin Powell endorses Obama for second term (nbcpolitics.nbcnews.com)
- Colin Powell endorses Barack Obama for president (cbsnews.com)
- Colin Powell backs Obama (politico.com)