Years ago in the Salt Lake Valley my sister Annette had a home on Wren Road.
One day she and a friend watched birds scurrying all over the property, plucking nesting materials. “I wonder what kind of birds those are,” my sister said.
“Did you ever wonder why they named it ‘Wren Road?’” her friend replied.
If you want your bird watching friends to think you’re experienced at it, remember Bewick’s, as in “Bewick’s wren,” is pronounced like the automobile, “Buick’s.”
- The massive Canyonlands (usaparkstour.wordpress.com)
- Bird watchin & then there’s bird watchin! (theoriginalfairycakes.wordpress.com)
- Mesa Arch, Canyonlands (photography.nationalgeographic.com)
- Daybreak in Canyonlands by Marc Perrella (500px.com)
- Avid birder boy, 12, boasts 371 species spotted (cbc.ca)
- You’re Such a Birdbrain! – Why Thank You! (bloggerheadseaturtle.wordpress.com)
- “Occasional Tuesday Tweet: Wren on the rose, Bewick’s or Carolina?” (Millard Fillmore’s Bathtub)