Another good reason to follow the National Archives on Twitter, Tumblr and other media: Great updates.
Like this one on the explosive arrival of the Atomic Age:
On July 16, 1945 the United States tested a nuclear device, code named “Trinity”, for the first time in White Sands Proving Ground, New Mexico.
Left: [“Jumbo” atomic device being positioned for “Trinity” test at Alamogordo, New Mexico.], 1945
Right: [“Trinity” explosion], 07/16/1945
- Trinity+67 Years: the Explosion of the First Atomic Bomb, Alamogordo, New Mexico, 1945 (longstreet.typepad.com)
- Trinity, July 16, 1945 (sandwalk.blogspot.com)
- July 16, 1945: Trinity Blast Opens Atomic Age (wired.com)
- Dinosaurs of the Atomic Age! (blogs.scientificamerican.com)
- James B. Conant on Trinity (1945) (nuclearsecrecy.com)
- Weatherwatch: Mushroom-shaped clouds and their causes (guardian.co.uk)
- Nuclear Explosions – I am become Death [34 Pics] (amazfacts.com)
- History pamphlet given to visitors to the Trinity site