Banned Books Week 2009 is set for September 26 through October 3.
Which banned book will you read just to poke the eye of the censors, and to wave the flag of freedom and liberty?
Ellen Hopkins wrote several controversial books, including Burned which is out of favor in Pocatello, Idaho, close to my birthplace.* She has written a Banned Books Week Manifesto, which she recites in the video. You can read an interview with Ms. Hopkins at the site of the National Coalition Against Censorship (NCAC).
* Does Millard Fillmore’s Bathtub have any readers in Pocatello? Pocatello readers: Do you know of anyplace you can get a copy of Burned to read, in Pocatello?
Banned Books Week resources:
- American Library Association Office for Intellectual Freedom
- National Coalition Against Censorship
- School Library Journal article on 2009 celebration
- Kids’ Right to Read Project
Encourage others to read banned books, too: