I get e-mail, some of it that offers hope. This one came from Boyd Richie, chair of the Texas Democratic Party:
Dear fellow Democrat,
Earlier this week, the State House version of the budget proposal was set out in black and white. The cost of ten years of Republican rule: a $27 billion budget deficit.
Governor Rick Perry wants Texans to believe the massive budget shortfall is simply the result of the recession – but this is not true. The tax package the Republican-controlled legislature passed in 2006 created a permanent structural deficit that led to the budget crisis facing our state, and now they refuse to take responsibility.
Texas Democrats stand up for the interests of our working families. We demand a quality education for our children because we know this is the key to their ability to compete for the good jobs of tomorrow. However, these budget cuts place public education and other issues critical to Texas’ future economic security under attack. They are short-sighted, hostile to our state’s children and elderly and bound to weaken employment and economic growth:
- 9,600 state jobs eliminated that could cause the loss of 14,400 more jobs. Economist Ray Perryman explained that every lost public sector job creates a “multiplier effect”, resulting in an additional 1.5 jobs lost.
- $1.15 BILLION reduction in Closing the Gap programs, designed to attract students to study in fields that help Texas’ economy. These cuts will negate over one million new jobs and $122 billion in personal income that economist Perryman calculated these programs would create by 2030.
- $9.8 BILLION in cuts from our public schools
- Elimination of Pre-K Early Start and Early Childhood School Ready program funding, meaning that nearly 200,000 kids will be kicked off these important school-readiness programs.
- $1.57 BILLION cut in nursing home payments
As Democrats, our numbers are down but we are not out – and we will fight these cuts every day on behalf of our working families.
Boyd L. Richie
Texas Democratic Party
P.S. Don’t forget to join the Party Insider email list to receive the latest talking points on issues like the budget and other important priorities. Sign-up is quick and easy on the TDP website: http://www.txdemocrats.org/party-insider-sign-up/