Our librarian friend, Judy Crook, sent a link to the National Park Service website where you can download, free, 26 books on the Civil War.
Eastern National is celebrating the 150th Anniversary of the Civil War with electronic editions of eParks’ National Park Civil War Series of books. Read them online or own your own paper edition by visiting our Civil War Series store.
With a color printer, a teacher could assemble 26 readers for use in the classroom, or for homework assignments. The books sell for $8.95 through the NPS bookstore. The first listed volume, A Concise History of the Civil War, provides a good, brief summary, with some features in the .pdf version teachers should be happy to find: A list of 25 battles of significance, and black-and-white maps of battle locations and the Confederacy, for examples.
Great idea to make this stuff available for free, online. I wonder, how many people will really take advantage of the opportunity?
Buy paper copies here, at the eParks Store; here are links to the .pdfs of the 26 volumes, below:
- A Concise History of THE CIVIL WAR
- The Civil War’s BLACK SOLDIERS
- The Civil War’s COMMON SOLDIER
- Life in CIVIL WAR AMERICA
- The Prison Camp at ANDERSONVILLE
- The Campaign to APPOMATTOX
- The Campaign for ATLANTA
- The Battle of CHANCELLORSVILLE
- The Battles for CHATTANOOGA
- The Battle of CHICKAMAUGA
- The Battle of COLD HARBOR
- Fort Pulaski and the DEFENSE OF SAVANNAH
- The Campaign for FORT DONELSON
- Five Flags Over FORT SUMTER
- The Battle of FREDERICKSBURG
- The Battle of GETTYSBURG
- The First Battle of MANASSAS
- The Second Battle of MANASSAS
- The Campaign for PEA RIDGE
- The Seige of PETERSBURG
- The Battles for RICHMOND, 1862
- The Battle of SHILOH
- The Battle of STONES RIVER
- The Campaign for VICKSBURG
- The Battles of WILDERNESS & SPOTSYLVANIA
- The Battle of WILSON’S CREEK