Diane Ravitch, who once had the ear of education officials in Washington and would again, if they have a heart, brains, and a love for the U.S. defended teachers and teaching in a way that is guaranteed to make conservatives and education critics squirm
- “Teachers are under attack.”
- “The public schools are under attack.”
- “Teachers unions are under attack.”
- “Public schools are not shoe stores. They don’t open and close on a dime.”
- “‘Value-added assessment,’ used as it is today, is junk science.”
If you care about education, if you care about your children and grandchildren, if you care about the future of our nation, you need to listen to this.
AFT HQ description:
Diane Ravitch, education activist and historian, rallied an enthusiastic audience at the AFT 2012 Convention with her sharp criticism of education “reform” that threatens public schools.
It’s all true.
More Resources and News:
- A shout-out from the great Diane Ravitch! (chicagoreader.com)
- Stephen Krashen: How Much Testing? (dianeravitch.net)
- “Student voice is now being invited to evaluate teachers…” A response to Diane Ravitch (coopcatalyst.wordpress.com)
- My Petition to the White House: Replace Arne Duncan with Diane Ravitch (mathequality.wordpress.com)
- 98% of Eligible Students Say No to Vouchers ” Diane Ravitch’s blog (educationclearinghouse.wordpress.com)
- Randi Weingarten Gets It Wrong Again, or Why We Need Teacher Quality Reforms, Not Bar Exams (educationviews.org)
- Average Teacher Earns $44,000, Average Big Union Boss $500,000 (riehlworldview.com)
- Weingarten On Rhee: ‘I’d Be The First To Welcome Her If She Actually Changed’ (huffingtonpost.com)