Brad Goldpaint (Goldpaint Photography) planned to shoot pictures of the Milky Way, something I’ve tried to do without much success, at Crater Lake National Park, one of the more spectacular backdrops for such a photograph.
Those plans were interrupted — without warning. Thank goodness.
I drove to Crater Lake National Park on the night of May 31, 2013 to photograph the Milky Way rising above the rim. I’ve waited months for the roads to open and spring storms to pass, so I could spend a solitude night with the stars. Near 11pm, I was staring upward towards a clear night sky when suddenly, without warning, an unmistakable faint glow of the aurora borealis began erupting in front of me. I quickly packed up my gear, hiked down to my truck, and sped to a north facing location. With adrenaline pumping, I raced to the edge of the caldera, set up a time-lapse sequence, and watched the northern lights dance until sunrise. The moon rose around 2am and blanketed the surrounding landscape with a faint glow, adding depth and texture to the shot. The last image in the sequence above shows the route of the International Space Station (ISS) which flew over at 2:35am.
Please feel free to share #withoutwarning
See more images at goldpaintphotography.com/2013/06/02/without-warning/
Music composed by Ben Beiny entitled, “The Right Moment”
Limited edition, fine-art prints are available at goldpaintphotography.com/purchase
No motion control systems were used during the production of this time-lapse. We are actively seeking various marketing partnerships to strategically promote and develop, specialized photography equipment used in the field. If you are interested in soliciting your product with Goldpaint Photography, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Poetic understatement: ” . . . without warning, an unmistakable faint glow of the aurora borealis began erupting in front of me.”
- Watch the northern lights dance in these surprising time-lapse videos (cosmiclog.nbcnews.com)
- Weekend Aurora Surprise (universetoday.com)
- Milky Way over Crater Lake (earthsky.org)
- Amazing Time Lapse of the Northern Lights & (gr8fulbugger.com)
- Milky Way Over Crater Lake (neatorama.com)
- Michigan’s northern lights captured in amazing time-lapse video (mlive.com)
- Long’s Peak in the Milky Way (timpanogos.wordpress.com)
- Earth’s Milky Way Neighborhood Gets More Respect (spaceref.com)