Watch the charts, get the facts. Obamacare is working well.
First, let’s look at the food service industry. Hoaxsters claim that restaurants are cutting hours of employees and refusing to hire, to avoid the law. Not so.
So food service establishments — restaurants — have experienced sales and employment growth as has the rest of the economy during the Obama administration. What about employees? Are restaurants cutting back their hours to avoid providing benefits to employees? Evidence suggests the opposite: Hours worked per employee are increasing. Go to the chart:
During the four years since the recession ended in June 2009, 87% of the increase in employment has been due to a rise in the number of workers in full-time jobs. And looking at the period since ACA was signed in March 2010, more than 90% of the rise in employment has been due to workers in full-time jobs. Moreover, the length of the average workweek for private sector production and nonsupervisory employees has returned to its level at the start of the Great Recession.
And while the number of involuntary part-time workers has declined roughly in line with previous recoveries, it spiked up 322,000 in June. However, nearly 30 percent of the June increase was due to federal employees. This suggests that furloughs contributed to the pickup in part-time employment.
These observations strongly suggest that the Affordable Care Act has not constrained growth in hiring or work hours. So what is the ACA doing? It’s slowing the growth rate of health care costs for consumers, creating new incentives for providers to raise the quality of care, and adding new transparency and accountability in the insurance marketplace—all steps that help the economy.
ObamaCare is working — the Affordable Care Act has provided cheaper health care, much broader insurance coverage, better health — and seems to be stimulating industry, too.
- White House defends Obamacare impact on economy (wyff4.com)
- White House: Obamacare not a job killer, we have a graph to prove it! (washingtonpost.com)
- White House defends Obamacare impact on economy (politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com)
- White House Shoots Back At Obamacare Critics (huffingtonpost.com)
- Burr: Shutdown over defunding ObamaCare ‘dumbest idea’ ever (thehill.com)
- ‘Stupid’ ObamaCare Provision Offends America’s Highest Caste: Congress (cato.org)
- Restaurant Jobs: A recipe for success (snagajob.com)