Either someone just spent a very cold night to get a photo, or they’re getting ready to spend a very cold night.
Which is it?
Steens Mountain is a large fault-block mountain in the southeastern part of the U.S. state of Oregon. Located in Harney County, it stretches some 50 miles (80 km) long north to south, and rises from alongside the Alvord Desert at elevation of about 4,200 feet (1,300 m) to a summit elevation of 9,733 feet (2,967 m). It is sometimes confused with a mountain range, but is properly a single mountain.
- Sunrise at Steens Mountain, David Jensen Photography
- Another sunrise, by jbury
- Steens Mountain site at BLM (National Conservation Lands)
- Riddle Brothers Ranch on Steens Mountain offers look back in time (oregonlive.com)
- Alvord Hot Springs beckons dusty desert visitors with hot bath opportunity (oregonlive.com)
- Voltaic Force by Alex Noriega (500px.com)
- Every Inch of the Oregon Desert Trail – On Foot (publicnewsservice.org)
- First hiker completes new 800-mile Oregon Desert Trail (seattletimes.com)
- Photography: Oregon High Desert (swittersb.wordpress.com)