Words of encouragement in tough times, from Samuel Clemens, writing as Mark Twain:
The note was published in the New York Journal, June 2, 1897. While it’s true that Twain wrote this, most popular citations have added and rearranged words.
Text of the note:
James Ross Clemens, a cousin of mine was seriously ill two or three weeks ago in London, but is well now. The report of my illness grew out of his illness, the report of my death was an exaggeration.
- Pastor Claims Mark Twain Was Demonically Possessed (patheos.com)
- Silent Movie Time Capsule: Mark Twain and the movies, 1909 Edison footage (moviessilently.com)
- Mark Twain in Fort Worth (timpanogos.wordpress.com)
- Radio Wingnut Kevin Swanson Explains How Demons Guided Mark Twain (wonkette.com)
- A new theory could solve the mystery of ‘Mark Twain’ (kansascity.com)
- Mark Twain and a GC? (choosetoseewithyourheart.wordpress.com)