Some people used to get suckered periodically by headlines in The Onion, before most people figured out it was a publication full of parodies.
But the along came The Courant; not everyone got that one yet.
Then there’s National Report. Even fewer have it figured out.
So, there was uproar on Facebook, on Twitter, and probably on your e-mail, earlier this evening when this story
leaked out gushed all over unwitting computer-screen gazers.
Obama Declares November National Muslim Appreciation Month
Posted about 10 hours ago | 167 comments
Washington, DC — President Barack Obama held a press conference to announce that he is declaring the month of November ‘National Muslim Appreciation Month’.
“The Muslim community deserves our full acceptance and respect,” Obama told reporters. “We have killed millions of Muslims overseas since the September 11th attacks. They are not all bad. In fact most of them are good. So from now on, November will be a month to celebrate the Muslim community, the Sunnah and the Quran.”
Khaled Matei who is a member of the Muslim Brotherhood‘s Freedom and Justice Party told CNN he is pleased with Obama and his actions. “I spoke with President Obama by telephone yesterday and personally thanked him for what he is doing for the Muslim community,” Matei said. “This is definitely a step in the right direction I explained to him. Praise Allah.”
Obama informed reporters about his future plans for helping Muslims around the world. “I will be working with Congress in making it easier for Muslims to earn a Green Card and achieve American citizenship,” Obama said. “Currently as it stands, obtaining a Visa or Green Card for a Muslim is very difficult. There are too many background checks in place and I plan to fix that.” Obama continued, “Muslims are hardworking people who are just looking to live the American Dream like the rest of us. Mr. Matei of the Muslim Brotherhood assured me they want to come to this country to help us, not harm us.”
Obama finished the press conference by explaining to reporters how happy he is with America. “Folks, there is no way we could have had a ‘National Muslim Appreciation Month’ 20 years ago. That really says a lot about the growth and progress of this great country.”
‘National Muslim Appreciation Month’ begins November 1st and will end at midnight on November 30th. For any questions or comments please contact the 24-hour National Muslim Appreciation Hotline at (785) 273-0325.
And, just to make sure you know this journal has trustworthy reporters, they post the bio at the bottom of each story.
Mr. Horner has won numerous awards for journalism including a Peabody Award and a Pulitzer Prize. He was recently in the media for his heroics in stopping a robbery by quoting Pulp Fiction.
View all posts by Paul Horner →
Must be true, no?
Look, if your Hemingway Brand™ solid gold Sh** Detector didn’t start clanging at the headline, you need new batteries — maybe better get the thing calibrated, too.
Should we count the ways it’s a hoax?
- Would any president commending any group start out by noting the U.S. has killed millions of that group recently? Do you think the White House estimates deaths that high?
- Did you see any reports of the President talking with any Egyptian reporters? No. Did you wonder who in the heck Khaled Matei is? (Yeah, if you’re not going to be as wise as a cub reporter, maybe you should leave the reporting to the guys with the mainstream media.)
- You’ve seen how well Congress received their own members’ proposals for immigration reform that is sorely needed — when the Obama in the story pledges to work with Congress to increase immigration for Muslims, by relaxing background checks, didn’t your eye at least twitch?
- Did you notice the phone number listed for “The National Muslim Appreciation Hotline?” First, when was the last time you saw any White House advertise a hotline other than a government service? But second, didn’t you get the least bit curious about that number? Hmmm. (785) 273-0325. I don’t even recognize the area code. Google it . . . voila! It’s the number for Westboro Baptist Church.
- The reporter has a Peabody and a Pulitzer? He stopped a robbery by quoting Pulp Fiction? Maybe you need to replace your Hemingway completely.
- Over at the White House website, they list and record almost every word that comes out of Obama’s entire operation. Check it. There’s no Muslim Appreciation Month.
- Maybe you have to have staffed Congress to notice this, but most Presidential Proclamations of National Pickle Week or National Ski Patrol Month are accompanied by a resolution from one or both houses of Congress asking the president to make the proclamation. See any such bill for this? I don’t see one.
I got suckered by a story in National Report a couple of months ago. When you name your blog after one of the most famous hoaxes in history, you really need to be careful. So I was suspicious from the start.
But it got picked up by GOP – The Daily Dose? That’s legitimate sounding enough to gullible Obama H8ers that I suspect they didn’t even pause. Cleverly, Daily Dose listed the story as “via NRO,” the acronym for National Review Online — but of course, that’s not correct.
Then the Dominoes of Gullibility started to fall; among those suckered:
- Tea Party Command Center
- The Tree of Liberty
- Nathan Fields on Facebook
- US Constitutional Freepress smelled a rat, but ran with the story anyway
- Patriots Billboard
- Free Republic had a thread — then pulled the whole thing when it was exposed
- Update, September 30 – (For Conservative Refocus, see below.)
- Update, October 2 – Lone Star Tea Party got punked, but recovered
Wow. How many people got suckered by that hoax? Were you among them?
- Religious Freedom Day proclamation (January 16, 2013 White House)
- Obama Declares November National Muslim Appreciation Month (tomohalloran.com)
- Re: Obama Declares November National Muslim Appreciation Month (forum.prisonplanet.com)
- Obama Declares November National Muslim Appreciation Month…by Paul Horner (jericho777.wordpress.com)
- Conservative Refocus News (Author Barry Secrest said he debunked it from the start; anybody got any way to confirm?) (Okay, I’m convinced I may have misread this site; though Secrest expresses disbelief that it’s a hoax, apparently he looked at sources before reporting it as something that he wishes were true so he could continue in the Obama H8er role. Give him points for accuracy, no matter how reluctant he was — in this case. Do not assume anything else there is accurate.)