Every polling place should be flying the U.S. flag today. You may fly yours, too. In any case, if you have not voted already, go vote today as if our future depends upon it, as if our nation expects every voter to do her or his duty.
Today the nation and world listen to the most humble of citizens. Speak up, at the ballot box.
Did you notice? In George Caleb Bingham’s picture, there are no U.S. flags. You should fly yours anyway.
The whole world is watching.
- Teachers: “The County Election” is featured in the National Endowment for the Humanities’s series, Picturing America — description, history, and discussion questions for the painting at that website (Where you’ll learn the painting shows the 1850 election in Saline County, Missouri — in which Bingham himself ran for the state legislature, and lost)
- How I Lost My Vote (washingtonmonthly.com)
- Don’t Fall For These Voting Myths On Election Day! (newsone.com)
- With Power Still Out, NJ Comes Up With New Voting Plan (wnyc.org)
- Republicans. Want to win? Pull out this Secret Weapon! (commoncts.blogspot.com)