It’s not even secret. But those propagandists who run advertising claiming that carbon dioxide is natural and, therefore, harmless, hope against hope that you don’t know the true history, that you’ve never heard of Cameroon, that you don’t know about volcanic emissions, and that you forgot the story of the killer CO2 cloud of 1986.
Read it here, “Cameroon: The Lake of Death.”
- “Dead town monument to disaster,” New York Times 1987
- Environmental Geology 406/506, at ISU (volcanoes and carbon dioxide, among other topics)
- BBC’s “This Day in History,” August 21, 1986
- Neat-o-rama story on the 1986 disaster
- CO2 killing trees around Horseshoe Lake in the Long Valley Caldera (California), USGS Long Valley Observatory (if that link doesn’t work, try this one)
Help make a cloud of witnesses: