I get e-mail from people who work for good schools, the Texas Freedom Network:
TFN Launches SBOE 2012 Campaign
Ideologues on the State Board of Education are doing everything they can to keep our children in the dark (ages). They:
- censor American history, including what students learn about separation of church and state
- reject established science and dumb-down instruction on evolution
- ignore the recommendations of teachers and scholars who know what Texas kids need to learn to be successful today
Ignorance is not a Texas value. Texas needs a new SBOE.
So what can you do?
Every 10 years all 15 seats on the SBOE are up for election at once. This is that year.
Throughout this election year, our campaign will help you:
- Get informed about SBOE elections
- Get involved in your community
- VOTE for candidates that restore sanity to the SBOE
Take the first step: sign the pledge and join the SBOE 2012 campaign at tfn.org/educate.
The Texas Freedom Network
P.S. Take another step toward fulfilling part of your pledge by clicking here to send this message to a friend.
For years, when people asked me about my opinions “in the really important races” I’d first ask them which school district they lived in, usually pointing out that I don’t know their district. Local school board races are probably the most important most people will vote in (or fail to vote) in their lifetimes. Since coming to Texas and fighting the Texas State Board of Education, I wonder sometimes if the state board races aren’t even more important than your local school board. Santayana’s Ghost agrees with the sentiments on the TFN logo above.
If you don’t already use the site, you ought to at least check out the TFN Insider, TFN’s blog which covers the Texas SBOE better than most media in Texas.