Here is the complete press conference held today, July 4, 2012, at the CERN offices in Geneva, Switzerland. (Alas, the press conference was not held in Cedar Hill, Texas, making it a monument to the dangers of saying “we can’t be great in America any more” and refusing to appropriate money for science, or anything else good.)
This may be the biggest discovery of the decade for particle physics; it’s incredibly exciting, despite the appearance of calm. It may be the biggest discovery of the century. (We have 88 years left in the century, too.)
Description from the poster:
Published on Jul 4, 2012 by Charbax
This is the full press conference update on the search for the Higgs boson at CERN in Geneva Switzerland. This press conference followed the 2-hour Seminar that you can see here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAlgX4FNiyM
This original CERN webcast recording was officially published at https://cdsweb.cern.ch/record/1459604 but I re-uploaded it here because YouTube is best. The CERN Copyright notice seems to say doing something like this may be ok http://copyright.web.cern.ch/ but if they release this video on the official http://youtube.com/cerntv YouTube channel, I may remove this copy from my YouTube account.
So, if the video above goes dark, check the official CERN YouTube site.
Especially for middle school and high school teachers, More:
- CERN: CERN is an acronym derived from the French words for European Organization for Nuclear Research or as Wikipedia explains it concisely, “The European Organization for Nuclear Research (French: Organisation européenne pour la recherche nucléaire), known as CERN or Cern ( /ˈsɜrn/; French pronunciation: [sɛʁn]; see History) is an international organization whose purpose is to operate the world’s largest particle physics laboratory, in the northwest suburbs of Geneva on the Franco–Swiss border (46°14′3″N 6°3′19″E). Established in 1954, the organization has 20 European member states.”
- I’ll post more basic and explanatory material, and more news links, here at Millard Fillmore’s Bathtub.
- CERN document server; place to download your own video of the entire press conference
- John Horgan at Scientific American blogs tries to blow through the hype on the Higgs boson discovery
- “I think we have it,” DVICE article on the press conference
- “Scientists in Geneva find a particle, stop short of calling it the Higgs boson,” Newark (New Jersey) Star-Ledger
- CERN press release, July 4, 2012: “CERN experiments observe particle consistent with long-sought Higgs boson”
- CERN Confirms Existence of a Particle Consistent With Higgs Boson (mashable.com)
- Higgs Boson announcement from Cern: LIVE – Telegraph.co.uk (telegraph.co.uk)
- Everything You Need To Know About The Higgs Boson In Under Eight Minutes (gizmodo.com.au)
- CERN announces discovery of Higgs boson (theverge.com)
- Higgs boson hunt over: CERN scientists at Large Hadron Collider find ‘God particle’ (news.nationalpost.com)
- Higgs boson breakthrough should earn particle’s namesake the Nobel Prize: Stephen Hawking (news.nationalpost.com)
- CERN confirms existence of new particle consistent with Higgs boson (engadget.com)
- CERN Finds Evidence of the Higgs Boson (What’s Next, Star Trek Artificial Gravity?) (pcworld.com)
- Truimph at Cern as Large Hadron Collider scientists announce discovery of Higgs boson ‘God particle’ (independent.co.uk)