Did you earn Eagle rank in Scouting?
Show this video below to your mother — it will endear you to her (as if you needed that).
Last year the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS) commemorated 100 years of Scouting as the youth program for boys and young men in the church. In October there was a world-wide telecast of a ceremony in Salt Lake City.
This song was part of that telecast.
Look at the vintage uniforms some of the boys wear. (I have three of those hanging in my closet . . .)
IF you know the mother of an Eagle Scout — or the father — show this to them. They’ll appreciate it. They’ll probably have some even better stories to tell you (stories which I hope you’ll share in comments).
“Ma, You Earned Your Eagle”
Somewhere, Busby Berkeley’s Ghost is laughing, soaking in this production. It only lacks an Esther Williams number in the water to be a full Berkeley musical, no?
Published on Oct 30, 2013
[From Sean Mobley] A fun musical snippet from the October 29th presentation “Legacy of Honor” commemorating the 100 year relationship between the Boy Scouts and the Mormon Church. I’m not LDS, but as an Eagle Scout, I know my mom earned hers, too! Check out the whole presentation here: http://www.scouts100.lds.org/
- The full production of “A Century of Honor” is available here, in full, and in excerpts
- Be a Scout (want to join Scouting?)
- Scouting the Wisdom Trail
- WisdomTrail.org, for Wisdom Trail District, Southwest Dallas County
- Eagle Scout (BSA version)
- Eagle Scout (Wikipedia version)
- Los Angeles Times, “Openly gay Eagle Scout a first since new Boy Scout policy”
- National Eagle Scout Association
Tip of the old scrub brush to Mary Almanza, for finding the video, and to Kathryn Knowles, our resident Scout Mother.